Sometimes while you are trying to install or update some software, you receive an error message saying the application has failed to start because its side-by-side-configuration is incorrect:
This error arouses mainly due to the incompatibility between the software and the system files in the C++ runtime libraries. If you are struggling to find a way to fix, you can have a try on the listing methods below.
Method 1. Use Another Installer
When you see side by side configuration is incorrect, it is possible that the installer you are using now is corrupt. In this case, you can try another installer. Go to the software provider’s official website and get the correct installer. Then try installing it on your computer.
If you still receive the application has failed to start side-by-side-configuration is incorrect error message, try the next method.
Method 2. Uninstall & Reinstall
Here is how:
- Right-click on the Windows Start menu and click on Settings.
- In the Windows Settings window, click on Apps.
- Under Apps & Features, scroll down to find the application you are installing/updating and click on it.
- In the context menu, click on Uninstall and follow the wizard to finish.
- Now re-launch the software installer and install.
Tip: you can also choose Change instead of Uninstall, then follow the wizard to repair the program.
If side by side configuration is incorrect error still hangs on your Windows 10, move on to try the next solution.
Method 3. Reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ Packages
The side by side configuration is incorrect error may occur when the Visual C++ Runtime on your computer gets corrupted or is missing. In this case, reinstalling the Microsoft Visual C++ Packages can help you restore the corrupted or missing Runtime.
To reinstall the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Packages, you need to:
- In the Windows search menu, type Control Panel and choose the best match from the search result list.
- Click Programs and Features, and then scroll down and locate each of the Microsoft Visual C++ entries.
- Right-click and choose Uninstall on each of them.
- Click each of the links from top to bottom to download and install all of the necessary Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributive Packages. If you’re using a 32-bit version of Windows, you only need to download the packages labeled (x86).
- Accept the license agreement and install all of them.
- Reboot your computer after installing the packages, and then restart the program that was previously causing the side-by-side configuration is incorrect error.
Method 4. Run Program Compatibility Troubleshooter
When you see the application has failed to start side-by-side-configuration is incorrect error, you can give the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter a try. This may help fix the side-by-side configuration issue.
- Go to Start -> Settings -> Update & Security.
- Navigate to Troubleshoot. Then scroll down to find Program Compatibility Troubleshooter. Select it and click Run the troubleshooter from the menu.
- Wait for the scanning process to finish. Then choose the issued program and try to fix.
Method 5. Run System File Checker
The corruption of system files or outdated Windows registry also brings side by side configuration is incorrect error on Windows 10. Therefore, you can check the system file integrity.
- In the Windows Search bar, type CMD.
- Run Command Prompt from the best match with administrator privilege.
- In the pop-up command prompt window, type sfc /scannow and press Enter on your keyboard.
- Wait for the scan to complete. Then check to see if the error side by side configuration is incorrect has gone.
- If the side-by-side error persists, go back to Command Prompt, and then execute DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth.
- Wait until the process completes. Then check to see if this fixes the error.
Method 6. Reset System
If none of the above methods help, you may need to reset your Windows operation system. This can be done by getting into the Windows Recovery Environment.
Warning: Windows reset may remove everything on your drive by following different options. Be very careful when you are making decisions.
To reset your Windows:
- Go to the Windows Start menu and right-click on it.
- Select Settings -> Update & Security -> Recovery.
- Under Reset this PC, click Get started.
- Choose an option to reset your computer carefully. Think twice if you have any important files not backed up yet before you move on. Once everything if ready, continue.
To wrap up, the application has failed to start because its side-by-side-configuration is incorrect error can happen randomly on Windows computers. Hopefully, one of these solutions is helpful in resolving this issue. If you have another good solution, share it in the comment section so as to help others.