If your PC encounters virus attack, you should check your PC to see whether there are files get deleted. If there are important files deleted by virus, please run antivirus programs to kill virus before you recover deleted data.
Kill Virus First
When you have recovered the lost files, you need to get your PC safe and clean. That says, you need to run antivirus software to kill the virus first. You can use a third-party antivirus program or the built-in antivirus software – Windows Defender.
If you prefer to use Windows Defender, here is the brief guide:
- Click Start button and select Settings.
- Select Security & Update.
- Choose Windows Defender and then click Open Windows Defender Security Center.
- Click Virus & threat protection and then click Quick scan.
If you would prefer a more user-friendly program, you may refer to The Best Antivirus Protection for 2020 to choose one that suits you most.
To recover files deleted by virus attack, here are 3 ways offered to you.
Recover Lost Files Using CMD
Sometimes, your files are hidden by virus, not deleted by virus. In this situation, you can recover your files via CMD.
Here is the tutorial:
- Click Windows Search, type cmd in the search bar and hit Enter.
- From a list of programs, choose cmd.exe and run it with administrator privilege.
- In the command prompt window, type chkdsk D: /f, and hit Enter key (Replace D with the drive letter of the partition where files are lost due to virus attack).
- When complete, type D: and hit Enter; then type attrib -h -r -s /s /d *.* and hit Enter again.
Restore Missing Files from Backup
If you have enabled Windows backup before, you can use this method to recover lost files after virus attack.
Follow the steps below:
- Click on the Start button from the bottom left corner of computer screen and choose “Control Panel”.
- Choose “System and Security” from above interface and then click “Backup and Restore” from the following page.
- Choose “Select another backup to restore files from” or “Recover system setting or your computer” to finish recovery under guidance.
How to format a hard drive Windows 10? Get the best skills to reformat HDD/SSD/ external hard drive / USB drive /SD card in Windows…Read the post
Recover Lost Files with Data Recovery Tool
In many cases, you can’t recover files through the above methods. If so, you may need a powerful data recovery tool to help you. Most data recovery programs allow to recover a certain amount of data for free or allow free file preview, so it is better for you to get a free trial edition first.
To do so:
- Install the program and run it.
- Go to the data recovery section in which you can find the storage (disk or partition) where used to save the files deleted by virus.
- Select that storage to have a deep scan.
- From the data recovery result interface, go through all the recovered files and find the files you really need.
- Select the useful files and save them to a safe location. At this stage, you need to pay for a license if the selected files reach to the free data recovery limitation.
Keep Your Computer Free from Virus Attack
Despite that you do have ways to recover files deleted by virus attack, probably a more important thing is to learn how to prevent virus attack. Here are some useful suggestions:
- Install a reliable anti-virus program and always turn it on for real-time protection.
- Do not browse websites that you don’t trust.
- Do not open emails that are not recognized and any email attachments that report risky.
- Never allow people to use your computer without your knowledge.
- Never download, install and run any unrecognized software unless you know it is safe.
With these in mind, your computer is less likely to get attacked and your files will be safer than ever. In any case, it is highly suggested that you keep a regular backup of your key files so that you can recover lost files deleted by virus attack without much effort.