If your computer is running really slow, before you go for a new one, there are indeed some useful suggestions you can have a try on the slow computer.
Check out the following tips and tricks on how to make your computer run faster.
#1. Close Unused Window
If you have been working on a large file, it is likely that you have a number of windows on the go. It is a good idea to close the unused windows for now and then you will feel a little improvement on your computer’s running speed.
#2. Uninstall Programs You Never Use
When you have got multiple programs on your computer’s small drive, you should have a double check on whether you will use a program or not recently. Usually, some programs are installed for a one-time usage, and to get your computer running faster, uninstalling the ones your will never use help.
#3. Scan for Virus and Spyware
If the computer gets infected, it will run slow. In some cases, the virus and spyware will bring severe data loss. Taking all considerations, it is always good to have a deep scan of your computer and check if it is infected. Install reliable and real-time virus protection software to safeguard your computer.
#4. Disable Unnecessary Startup Programs
Another reason for your computer running slow is that there are too many startup programs. Such programs will launch automatically and running at background when Windows starts. For the programs you use often, it doesn’t matter leaving them on the startup; however, for the programs you seldomly use, it is better for you to disable them from Windows startup.
Here is how to do that:
- From Windows taskbar, launch Task Manager.
- Switch to the Startup tab and then look through all the startup programs. If there are any programs you do not need them to start with the operating system, right-click on them and choose Disable.
#5. Clean up the Disk
Getting a deep disk cleanup is more useful when you have a lot of files cached, downloaded, or deleted in the Recycle Bin. Cleaning up these files will return you several or tens of gigabytes disk space, which will help improve your computer performance.
How to make computer faster by disk cleanup? Here is the simple guide:
- From Windows Search box, type “disk cleanup” and then run it from the best match.
- Select the drive you want to clean up and let the tool analyze for a while.
- From the result window, you will see some kinds of files you can remove and how much disk space you can get by removing these files. Select the files to delete and click OK.
- If you have enabled Windows restore point, switch to More Options on the top position and then you are able to delete some previous system restore points.
How to free up disk space on Windows 10? Learn the tips and tricks for Windows disk cleanup when you hard drive space is filling…Read the post
#6. Change the Size of Virtual Memory
If you are prompted of “your system is low on virtual memory”, you will need to increase the minimum size of your paging file.
By default, Windows defines the initial minimum size of paging file equal to three times the amount of your RAM size. When the allocated size is filling up, you can follow the guide below to do a quick fix.
- Right click This PC and go to Properties.
- From the new System window, click Advanced system settings.
- From the System Properties window, go to Advanced and then Settings.
- Switch to the Advanced tab and click Change under Virtual memory. Then you are on the settings of virtual memory.
- Uncheck “Automatically manage paging file size for all drives”.
- Select “Custom size” so that you can customize the size of the paging file.
- Click OK to save the change and exit the settings.
#7. Get a Larger HDD or Faster SSD
This will definitely enhance the performance of your computer. A larger HDD has more free space for you to extend the C drive, eliminate the low disk space warning issue. And a faster SSD will greatly enhance the disk read/write speed to bring you a faster operating system.
How to make computer faster with better hard drive?
It is a good idea to migrate your system drive to the new drive. And to do this, using a reliable partition manager to help you. You can refer to the following article for the whole process.
How do you upgrade Windows 10 from old hard drive to SSD? Get the useful tips & tricks on how to migrate Windows 10 to…Read the post
#8. Add More RAM
If your computer always has a high memory usage, you are likely to get a slow computer. To make your computer faster, adding more random access memory (RAM) is another choice.Like these tips to speed up your computer? Share with your friends.Click to tweet