How to find my Windows 10 product key after activation? If you are looking for a way to view your Windows 10 product key, here is the guide.
Check if your Windows 10 is activated
Before you go to find your Windows 10 product key, you need to know if your Windows 10 already activated.
- Press Win + I to get into Settings, then go to Update & Security > Activation where you are able to see whether your Windows 10 activated or not.
- Also, you can right click This PC and view its Properties which displays your activation information directly.
What are the minimum requirements for Windows 10? Check out the Windows 10 requirements before you go for Windows 10.Read the post
How to find Windows 10 product key
Widows 10 license types
- OEM License: Such kind of licenses are supplied by your computer manufacturer and cannot be transferred to another machine. You will be able to find such license either on a sticker on your machine or in the systems BIOS.
- Retail License: Such licenses are purchased and recorded digitally. Usually one license can be used on one machine at the same. You can transfer the license to another machine but make sure that you have the license deactivated from the old machine first.
- Upgraded License: If you upgrade your Windows operating system to a new one then you do not have the original Windows 10 product key. Instead, you have an upgraded license.
Here are several ways for you to find your Windows 10 product key.
#1. Command Prompt
- Press Win + R to call out the RUN dialog box. Then input cmd and press Ctrl + Shift + Enter to launch it with administrator privilege.
- Now run this command in the window: wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey
- You will see your Windows 10 license code following the command. Be aware that this license code is the original Windows key your computer came with. If you have reinstalled and registered Windows 10 using another Windows key, you can try the next method.
#2. Third-party tools
This is an easier way for most users to approach. You can find many third-party tools to help you find your Windows 10 product key. I recommend you use the followings tools:
- Nirsoft ProduKey: it can find both the embedded OEM key as well as the retail key from our currently running Windows operating system. It also includes the keys from other applications like Office and Adobe products.
- ShowKey Plus: it also can find both the OEM key and retail key.
#3. VBS file
Another easy approach is to create a vbs file. In this way, you only need to:
- Create a new text document file.
- Copy and paste the following content in that file.
- Save that file as xxx.vbs. You can use any file name but the file extension needs to be vbs.
- Run the vbs file and then you can find your Window 10 license key.
Set WshShell = CreateObject(“WScript.Shell”)
MsgBox ConvertToKey(WshShell.RegRead(“HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId”))
Const KeyOffset = 52
i = 28
Chars = “BCDFGHJKMPQRTVWXY2346789”
Cur = 0
x = 14
Cur = Cur * 256
Cur = Key(x + KeyOffset) + Cur
Key(x + KeyOffset) = (Cur \ 24) And 255
Cur = Cur Mod 24
x = x -1
Loop While x >= 0
i = i -1
KeyOutput = Mid(Chars, Cur + 1, 1) & KeyOutput
If (((29 – i) Mod 6) = 0) And (i <> -1) Then
i = i -1
KeyOutput = “-” & KeyOutput
Loop While i >= 0
ConvertToKey = KeyOutput
How to deactivate a Windows 10 product key
If you are going to deactivate your Windows 10 product key from one machine and then use the product key to register Windows 10 on another machine, you are expected to do these:
- Run CMD as administrator.
- Run the command slmgr /upk and then hit Enter.
- You should see the message uninstall product key successfully.
Windows 10 activation support
If you are having trouble finding your Windows 10 license key or transferring your Windows 10 license key, you can feel to contact Microsoft support.
Search for Get help app and run it, where you can type the key information to get the instructions.
So, for now I guess you know how to find Windows 10 product key. Have a try and get your license key appear!