Discord is popular among Windows game users to communicatte between users in a cahnnel. Once in, they can jpin a chat and invite their friends to play and discuss games over voice, video, and text.
Sometimes, discord won’t open on Windows 10. If they double click the app, nothing happens or only a plain background appears on the screen.
Why is discord not opening, and how do you fix? This is what we are going to talk about today.
To be honest, it is not clear what is preventing discord from opening but we know discord indeed is running. This can be observed by viewing the running processes in Task Manager. Some of the suspious are corrupted system files, Internet connection issues, incorrect proxy settings, firewall settings and more.
Now try on the following methods if you are among one of them.
Fix 1. Close All Discord Services & Relaunch
To do this, you have 2 choices. You can kill discord tasks from Task Manager, or you may do it from CMD.
- Press CTRL + SHIFT + ESC to load Task Manager.
- In Task Manager, go to More Details and switch to Process tab.
- Scroll through the list and find the discord.exe.
- Select the discord.exe and click End Task.
Alternatively, you can also resort to Command Prompt.
- Press Windows key + R to load the Run dialog.
- Input CMD and click OK.
- In the CMD window, type taskkill /F /IM discord.exe.
- When the process finishes, relaunch Discord.
Fix 2. Disable Proxies
In several cases, Discord won’t open in Windows 10 because of a VPNs. if you are using a proxy or a VPN, this might be the cause of discord app not opening.
Now try this way to disable proxy.
- In Windows search box, type Control Panel and select the exact macth.
- Set View by category, click on Network and Internet and then Internet Options.
- A Internet Proprieties window should appear. Swith to the Connections tab.
- Under Local Area Network (LAN) settings section, click on LAN Settings.
- Under Proxy server section, uncheck Use a proxy server for your LAN.
- Click OK, and then Apply.
- Relaunch Discord.
Fix 3. Reset DNS
- Press Windows logo key and R to launch the Run box.
- Type CMD, and then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter together to run cmd as Administrator.
- In the command prompt window, type ipconfig /flushdns (take care that there is a space after g) and press Enter.
- Relaunch discord.
Fix 4. Automate Windows Date/Time
To our surprise, several users reported that manually set Windows date/time info can interfere with Discord opening, which works in removing discord not opening Windows 10 issue.
- Right-click Window start menu and select Settings.
- Select Time & Language.
- In the Date & time zone, make sure the Set time automatically option is toggled on.
- Restart your PC and launch Discord to check.
Fix 5. Login to Discord with the Web Version
A strange reason is that if your login to discord is invalid/expired, discord can be prevented from opening.
To fix this:
- Open your discord app although it won’t open.
- Visit https://discordapp.com/.
- Log in with your account.
- Discord will automatically link up the two sessions, resolving any login bugs on the desktop version by resetting the login details. You’ll be prompted to confirm whether you want to log in on the desktop app if it has worked. Do so to access Discord and your servers.
- Relaunch discord app.
Fix 6. Clear AppData & LocalAppData
Here are the complete steps to perform.
- Make sure all discord tasks are stopped.
- Press the Windows logo key and R to locate the run dialog box.
- Type %appdata% and click OK.
- Find Discord among the list of files and delete it.
- Alternatively, run %localappdata%, find Discord folder and delete it.
- Relaunch Discord.
Fix 7. Uninstall & Reinstall Discord
The final solution here, is to reinstall discord. Before you reinstall, uninstall it from Windows 10.
- Right-click on Windows Start menu and click on Settings.
- In the Windows Settings window, click on Apps.
- Under Apps & Features, find Discord and click on it.
- In the context menu, click on Uninstall and follow the wizard to finish.
Now to reinstall:
- Visit the official discord download website.
- Click Download Now.
- When prompted, click on Save File.
- Once downloaded, double click on the setup executable file and follow the instructions to finish the installation.
- When complete, launch Discord.
Hopefully, one of these fixes can be useful to remove discord app not opening error on your Windows 10.
Discord Not Opening FAQ
To refresh Discord, you just press the hotkey CTRL + R.
Press WIn + R to load the Run dialog box. Then enter %appdata% in the window and hit enter. Next, enter %localappdata% in the run box and hit enter. From both results, find the Discord folder and delete it.
When you delete or uninstall Discord, Discord won’t delete your account, it is still there waiting for your return. Your Discord account will continue to exist and you can keep using it on a browser or on the app next time when you have Discord reinstalled.